Volunteers are identified as persons who perform duties or tasks for the Library without wages or benefits. The volunteers described in this policy are different from the Friends of the Library volunteers who are governed by their own policies and bylaws. Volunteers typically work two to three hours per week. By becoming a volunteer, you are making a valuable contribution to one of the busiest public libraries in the county!
- Meet new people
- Enjoy the satisfaction of helping others
- Contribute to your Library and community
- Learn new skills
How to Become a Volunteer
- Complete and submit the Volunteer Application Form to the Volunteer Coordinator
- Complete a brief in-person interview
- Request or be selected for a particular job or task
- Receive an orientation including a tour of the building, introduction to the library staff, and a copy of the volunteer policy.
- Receive specific job orientation and training from the supervisor of the department for whom the volunteer is assigned*
*Some tasks are more physical than others.
Volunteers should be able to carry up to 25 pounds and must be able to reach our top shelves and bend or kneel to reach our lower shelves.
- Circulation Aide
- Program Aide
- Reference Aide
- Seasonal Assistant
- Tech Services Aide
Other opportunities to volunteer are also available through the Friends of the Library. The Friends conduct used book sales to raise funds for special materials and Library programs. Please stop by the Friends Book Store for volunteer information.
The Volunteer Coordinator can be contacted at 850-279-4863, ext. 1500. We hope you enjoy your volunteer experience.