Fire Safety

The goal of the Niceville Fire Department is to keep you safe and be there when you need us. Use this page as a tool to find and share helpful tips on making a fire safe home.


Have a working smoke alarm outside each sleeping area, inside each sleeping area, and on each level of your home.

Test smoke alarms monthly and change the batteries at least twice a year when you set your clocks forward or back. Do not change the battery if you have a lithium battery. The alarm will let out a periodic "chirping" sound when it needs a new battery.

Install smoke alarms away from air vents.

Install smoke alarms on the ceiling or wall, at least 4 inches from the corners.

When affixed to walls, smoke alarms should be between 4 and 12 inches from the ceiling.

Never disable or remove smoke alarm batteries.


Develop a fire escape plan with the members of your household and practice often.

Know two ways to exit from every room in your home.

Make sure that safety bars on windows can be opened from inside your home.

Crawl low, under smoke.

Feel closed doors. If hot, use another exit.

Identify a safe meeting place IN FRONT of your home to meet outside in case of fire. Never re-enter a burning building.

Escape first. Then call 9-1-1 for emergency assistance.


Keep clothes, blankets, curtains and other combustibles at least three feet from portable heaters.

Place portable heaters where they will not tip over easily..

Clear the area around the hearth of debris, flammables and decorative materials.

Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces and leave glass doors open while burning a fire..

Never leave cooking unattended.

Be sure your stove and small appliances are off before going to bed.

Check for frayed wires and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.

Never overload electrical sockets.

Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.

Never leave cigarettes unattended.

Never smoke in bed.


Many families gather in the kitchen to spend time together, but it can be one of the most hazardous rooms in the house if you don't practice safe cooking behaviors. Cooking is the third leading cause of fire deaths and the leading cause of injury among people ages 65 and older. It's a recipe for serious injury or even death to wear loose clothing (especially hanging sleeves), walk away from a cooking pot on the stove, or leave flammable materials, such as potholders or paper towels, around the stove. Whether you are cooking the family holiday dinner or a snack for the grandchildren:

Never leave cooking unattended. A serious fire can start in just seconds.

Always wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when you cook. Keep towels, pot holders and curtains away from flames.

Never use the range or oven to heat your home.

Double-check the kitchen before you go to bed or leave the house.


During winter months, December, January and February, there are more home fires than any other time of year. Heating devices like space heaters and wood stoves make homes comfortable, but should be used with extra caution. Heating is the second leading cause of fire death and the third leading cause of injury to people ages 65 and older.

Many of these deaths and injuries could be prevented with safe heating practices. So before you grab a good book and cozy up to the fireplace, make sure you do the following:

Keep fire in the fireplace by making sure you have a screen large enough to catch flying sparks and rolling logs.

Space heaters need space. Keep flammable materials at least three feet away from heaters.

When buying a space heater, look for a control feature that automatically shuts off the power if the heater falls over.